Research Associate/Postdoc at HZDR (Dresden)
September 30, 2019
Posted by on
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center’s focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Magnetohydrodynamics, invites applications as Research Associate/Postdoc (m/f/d).
The position will be available from 1st January 2020. The employment contract is limited to three years.
The appearance of thermal superstructures in turbulent convection within very low Prandtl number fluids will be investigated experimentally in a large aspect ratio domain. The experiments will be conducted using the liquid metal Gallium-Indium-Tin (GaInSn) that has a Prandtl number of 𝑃𝑟 ≈ 0.03. Combined temperature and velocity measurements will provide detailed information about turbulent, convective superstructures and their dynamics. A novel Ultrasound-Doppler-Array technique will be used to measure for the first time two dimensional velocity vector fields of the superstructures in a turbulent liquid metal convection.
The project includes the following tasks:
- preparation and operation of a Rayleigh-Bénard convection cell for liquid metal
- measurements of global transport laws for heat and momentum
- simultaneous measurements of flow velocity using ultrasound Doppler velocimetry and temperature distribution using thermocouples
- investigation of the three-dimensional flow structure and dynamics of turbulent superstructures
- comparison of the results to direct numerical simulations (carried out by project partners)
- completed doctorate in physics, mechanical engineering or comparable qualification
- a strong technical and physical understanding is mandatory
- background knowledge on thermal convection would be advantageous
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.
Online application English / German